It’s nearly January and you know what that means…resolution season! The most popular new year’s resolutions include eating healthier, getting more exercise and saving money; but topping the list – of course – is losing weight. While there are so many different ways to slim down and get in shape, we’re recommending one surprisingly easy way to shed a few extra pounds: replace your daily cup of joe with tea.
That’s right – the simple act of replacing coffee with loose-leaf tea, even for just 30 days, has been proven to reduce appetite, boost metabolism and aid in weight loss. Combined with the caffeine in some teas, EGCG (the most abundant catechin in tea) is a polyphenol that increases energy expenditure and fat oxidation.
And if you can keep it up past the 30-day mark, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition states that drinking a cup of green tea every day for 12 weeks can help you lose an average of three pounds and take an inch off your waistline. Celebrities like Kourtney Kardashian, Naomi Campbell and Gisele Bündchen swear by it!
And weight loss isn’t the only benefit you’ll get when you make the switch. Here’s a list of just a few of the others!
- Tea keeps your mood on an even keel and helps you remain calm.
- Caffeine and acid levels in coffee can wreak havoc on your stomach; however teas like ginger and peppermint soothe your stomach and make your body less acidic and more alkaline.
- Since there’s naturally less caffeine in tea, you won’t have trouble sleeping if you drink it late in the day like coffee. Further, you can drink tea that promotes sleep, like our PJ Soirée: Citrus Chamomile.
- Green tea contains antioxidant properties (the before mentioned EGCG) that boost your immune system, help prevent cell damage and reduce your risk of some cancers.
- Tea flavonoids improve bone strength and quality.
- Drinking tea reduces your risk of both heart attack and stroke. According to Today.com, “Those who [drink] four or more cups of green tea daily [have a reduced risk] of heart attack and lower levels of LDL cholesterol. You can get the same benefit from drinking one cup of Matcha tea, which is said to be the nutritional equivalent of 10 cups of regular green tea!”
So, do you think you can go 30 days without coffee?! Give it a try – you’ll be surprised by the results. You don’t have to give up caffeine all together, but you can get more benefits than coffee without the post-java crash! Start tomorrow by stocking up in time for the New Year, and let us know how it’s going at #SoiréeTeaLove and/or #30daySoirée.
May you have Happy Holidays and an even Happier New Year!
For more information on the benefits of green tea, check out https://manyeats.com/health-